At CO2balance we are always on the lookout for talented people that can help us to achieve our aims. If you have existing experience relevant to our business drop us a line for an informal discussion.
T: +44 (0)1823 332233
Current job vacancies:
Job Title: Carbon Projects Officer
Job Reference: CPO_1
Reports to: Programme Manager
Job Location: Taunton, England – with occasional overseas travel
Salary: £21,500-£23,500 pa
CO2balance is a carbon management consultancy and project developer, specializing in delivering high-impact, community-based projects for climate change mitigation. Established in 2003, we work directly with local communities, NGOs and businesses to provide climate change solutions in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
As a fast-growing organisation we are looking for a Carbon Projects Officer to assist our young and dynamic projects team to develop, implement and coordinate community–based carbon projects, mainly in Sub–Saharan Africa. The role is based in Taunton in the UK with occasional travel to the project areas required.
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated with the ability to work with minimal supervision; have a background in the environment and/or development sector; have excellent communication skills, a good attention to detail and a strong business mindset.
In return, we offer you internal support, international travel and the opportunity to work as part of a team in a successful, growing environmental company.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of high impact carbon offset projects
- Assist in the development of project documentation including report writing and emission reduction calculations
- Analyse and interpret quantitative and qualitative data from project monitoring studies
- Research and conduct feasibility studies for new project activities.
- Assist in undertaking Greenhouse Gas Audits and other consultancy tasks as appropriate
- Keep up to date with developments in the carbon management sector
- Assist with developing marketing materials for the projects
- Educated to degree level in relevant field
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Numerate with excellent analytical and research skills
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Good commercial acumen
- Ability to work as a team player, but also to work alone and manage own work load as required.
- Post graduate qualification in environmental management, sustainable development or similar
- Knowledge of carbon project methodologies including Gold Standard, VCS and CDM
- Experience working in environment/development consultancy
- Experience of work or travel in developing countries
- Fluency in a second language, especially French or Spanish
Please send a CV and covering letter to Sue Kent at email@example.com by Friday 5th February 2021.
Job Description: Consultant – Assistant Project Development Coordinator (Uganda)
Location: Kampala or Lira, with domestic travel
Salary: 2,500,000– 3,000,000 shs
The purpose of this role is to work alongside the Project Development Coordinator, Field Project Officers and the UK based Project Manager to coordinate the monitoring, maintenance and community engagement programmes for the CO2balance Safe Water Source projects in Uganda. The Assistant Project Development Coordinator will assist in ensuring that all the project safe water source across Uganda are maintained in working order and implement WASH programmes with the community and WRCs so that the boreholes are used properly and hygienically. The position will involve supporting the Project Development Coordinator with the day-to-day aspects of running and monitoring the projects.
Over the last decade, CO2balance has developed more than 125 carbon offset projects globally in the fields of energy efficiency, renewable energy and safe water supply. Since the inception of carbon offsetting, we have been at the forefront of the industry, establishing a track record of high-quality projects that deliver significant community benefits, as well as reducing greenhouse gases.
In 2014, CO2balance registered the first borehole rehabilitation project under the Gold Standard, the most widely recognized and respected voluntary carbon offset standard. By 2020, CO2balance has successfully established 55 safe water projects in Uganda, covering 635 water points.
- To assist the Project Development Coordinator to monitor and evaluate projects on behalf of CO2balance UK Ltd in line with the Gold Standard and other carbon certification requirements
- To assist in identifying and tracking relevant project program compliance requirements and opportunities for innovation and program expansion
- Collaborate with other colleagues to develop feasible ideas towards sustainable projects development
- Liaise and coordinate with other colleagues/key line managers across the organisation with aim to improve project implementation, monitoring and evaluation processes
- Play a role in identifying, developing and analyse new and existing opportunities to enhance project activities, provide appropriate recommendations and strategies
- Help maintain and apply strong knowledge of international project development, WASH and environmental principles
- Other tasks as appropriated and assigned by the PDC and/or other line managers
Main duties and Responsibilities
- Review borehole assessment survey information, along with GPS photos of the relevant boreholes assessed
- In the event that additional boreholes are drilled/repaired, the Assistant Project Development Coordinator shall coordinate the feasibility study and rehabilitations with the Project Development Coordinator and regional partner organizations
- Maintain and update a register of Water Resource Committees including their phone contacts
- Maintain and update household user lists of all boreholes, ensuring that they have accurate information details
- Review and file all monthly monitoring reports from the Project Officers, noting down any outstanding issues that need immediate attention
- Document all meetings, trainings carried out from time to time and share with the Project Development Coordinator
- Coordinate the data entry of survey results and deliver to the Project Development Coordinator in a timely manner
- Provide and supervise all the necessary training to casuals that are involved in conducting the surveys
- Ensure that all data pertaining to monitoring received from the field in both hard and soft copy are filed accordingly and well reviewed
- Assist the PDC in timely implementation, achievements of the relevant milestones and accurate reporting
- Provide support to the Project Development Coordinator and relevant Project Manager in all stages of the project and day to day running of the project.
- Liaise with relevant NGOs, district officials as required and when requested by the Project Development Coordinator
- Any other reasonable task requested by the Line Manager
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- University Bachelor’s Degree in Development or Indigenous Studies, Environmental Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, Forestry or WASH related discipline required
- Three to five years of experience in working in related fields
- Right to work in Uganda
- Strong project management skills and proven ability to manage diverse projects and shifting priorities within tight timelines
- Excellent handling of large volumes of data with strong skills to review, analyse and evaluate
- Demonstrated exposure to and experience with process Improvement and information coordination
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented, organizational skills, demonstrated tendency to problem-solve and take initiative
- Experience with producing reports on and evaluating the effectiveness of programs using relevant forms of analysis
- Knowledge of the international development, indigenous affairs, not-for-profit and/or NGO sectors a strong asset
- English language and knowledge of local dialects
- Exceptional proficiency with computer systems including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentation software, web content management systems, Internet, and Email and others as appropriate
Please send a CV and covering letter to Grace Ayoo at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 5th February 2021.